I have FINALLY gotten to check off 2 of my items on my summer bucket list! It took quite sometime, but I finally finished redoing my nightstand and my grandma’s old desk. I had a couple hiccups along the way, but it was actually really really simple!
Here is what the pieces looked like before hand
The desk does have drawers with it, but I forgot to get a picture until I had already taken them out.
2in angled brush
1 Quart Valspar Interior Semi Gloss Paint (Desk-Dove White, Nightstand-Ocean Storm and Honey Glaze)
Sander/Sandpaper (if desired or needed)
Polyurethane Finish- Water Based
My dad and I originally started with sanding both surfaces, but randomly he thought why not see if it sticks without sanding it. So we tried in an unnoticeable stop if the paint would cover the stain and stick without sanding. And it did! So we did not have to sand it down. However, I do think it would help if you sanded the entire piece. Even just a little bit would help.
I applied 2 coats of the Ocean Storm, 3 coats of the Honey Glaze, and 3 of the Dove White. How many coats to apply will depend on how dark the stain is, how dark the paint is, and what you think looks best. Using an angled brush will help with getting into the detailed parts of the furniture. I also did not have to use a primer because the paint was a paint + primer mix.
Once the piece has completely dried apply a polyurethane finish to at least to top surface and surfaces that will have things placed on. So for my project I applied it to the writing surface of the desk, the top of the nightstand, and the yellow shelf of the nightstand. The first time I apply the finish I used an oil based finish, which left my items yellow. Meaning I had to resand them to take off the finish and reapply a new water based finish.
However, if you have experience with an oil based finish and like it, by all means use it. I just did not get good results with it. Just follow the directions on the can for the finish.
Now you are all done! And you have a beautiful updated piece of furniture!
Here is my finished product!