Summer is one of my favorite times of the year because I have more time to cook. And since Im not at school I actually have a fully stocked kitchen to use! Henry and I love to cook together! We typically get our recipes from either Pinterest or from my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. We made this recipe about a week or 2 ago (sorry for the late post) and it was a beautiful day outside so we thought we would try grilling. I found this delicious looking recipe for orange chicken kabobs with a dipping sauce! It has a great, sweet flavor and it is easy!
Prep time: 30 minutes Marinate: 1 to 4 hours Grill: 10 minutes Makes: 8 servings (we got 4 servings, 2 kabobs per person)
6 Boneless Chicken Breast Halves
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
3/4 cup Orange Marmalade
1/2 cup Chicken Broth
1 tablespoon Finely Shredded Lemon Peel (we left this out)
1/4 cup Lemon Juice
1/4 cup Honey
1/4 cup Coarse-grained Dijon-style Mustard
3 tablespoons Light Mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Sesame Seeds, toasted (to toast, lay them on a shallow baking sheet put them in the oven at 350 for 5-10 minutes and shake the pan once or twice)
Sliced Green Onions (optional)
1. Cut the chicken breast halves lengthwise into four or five strips. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish, set aside.
2. For marinade, in a bowl whisk together orange marmalade, chicken broth, lemon peel, and lemon juice. Pour over chicken in bag. Turn to coat chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 4 hours. (We only had time for 1 hour and it tasted great. But next time we will for sure do it longer).
3. For dipping sauce, in a small bowl stir together honey, mustard, mayonnaise, and sesame seeds. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
4. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Thread chicken strips accordion-style onto skewers. (We added yellow and red bell pepper to the skewers just because we like grilled peppers. You can add your favorite grilled veggies or fruits!)
Charcoal grill- grill kabobs on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 10-12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Turn occasionally for even cooking.
Gas grill- preheat grill, reduce heat to medium. Place kabobs on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as directed.
6. Serve chicken with dipping sauce, if desired sprinkle with green onions.
We served the kabobs with baked potatoes, salad, and grapes. This is a perfect meal to serve outside or your favorite summer spot!