This weekend kicked off my summer vacation! It was a relaxing and fun filled weekend! I got to spend time with Henry and his family while my parents were out of town. I got my butt kicked in croquet not once, but twice by Henry and his parents on Saturday before we went out to dinner for Henrys birthday on Tuesday. I plan to beat all of them one of these days…maybe.
This was also my first Mother’s day not spent with my mom. Her and dad were down in Searcy helping Erika and Alex set up Connor’s nursery. So I got to spend it with Henry and his family. His brother’s came up with the idea of recreating their mother’s day gift from when they were kids, but actually including Henry this time. When his brothers were kids they gave their mom hand-print molds, but Henry never made one. So they made one this year with all 3 of them. And boy was it a hoot to see them try to get that plaster to work for them! But it turned out great and Jan loved it!
Friday night Henry and I wanted to make dinner together, so where do we look? No other place than Pinterest! Everytime I go through my foods board I realize how many dessert recipes I repin vs actual dishes haha! We didn’t have too many options on my foods board, so we went with a Meatball Casserole. It was super easy and you get to make your own, homemade meatballs! The meatball recipe can easily be used to make them and use them in another one of your favorite dishes as well. The only problem we had with the meatballs was they sticked to the pan because the juices leaked out and burned, sticking them to the pan. Next time I will try putting some foil down to resolve that issue. The casserole would also be great on hoagie buns! We didn’t take any pictures of it but here is what the site we used had:
Here are the instructions and the link to the website we found it on: http://www.shugarysweets.com/2014/02/meatball-parmesan-casserole?crlt.pid=camp.TFRqvggELMGG
Delicious baked turkey meatballs in a saucy cheesy casserole!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 3 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 6 cranks fresh ground black pepper
- 1 jar (24oz) spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In large bowl, mix together the meatball ingredients until combined evenly (I use my hands). Roll into 40 balls (about 1 1/2-2 inches). Space evenly on prepared baking sheet. Bake in a 425 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Pour half of the spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a 2qt baking dish. Top with meatballs. Pour remaining sauce over meatballs. Top with shredded parmesan and mozzarella. Cover with foil and bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Serve as is, or with a pile of pasta. Also great on a sub sandwich!